Forums » Gear Talk

Stomp Boxes!

• 23 posts
    October 13, 2010 9:07 PM PDT

Recently I have been on an distortion/Overdrive Kick. I have been looking for a new sound. In my quest for new gear i have come across 4 new stomp boxes that have kind of blown me away. While most put a high price tag on good tone I think many pedals are over looked.

My 2010 Picks in no particular order.

1) Pro Co Rat II $79.99 - $130.00 - High gain distortion excellent for rhythm

2) Delta Lab Metal Distortion $39.99 - super high gain crisp tone with a well balanced EQ

3) Digitech Handwire SC-2 Valve Distortion $99.00 - medium gain with epic mid tones. Everything from metal distortion to blues overdrive.

4) Ibanez tube screamer TS808HW w/brown sound mod. $349.00 -can you say Van Halen II Nuff Said.

In general I think the Inexpensive Delta Lab is very underrated. Plug into a Marshall and you will see what i mean.

The Pro Co rat II is a great addition to any pedal board and is moderately priced.

The Digitech Handwire SC-2 Valve Distortion is a very versitile pedal with great tone.

The Tube screamer is a classic and with the Keeley brown mod will bring down mountains with a single chug.

What do you prefer? What stomp boxes rock your socks?

• 16 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:15 PM PDT
    I have a ProCo Rat from the 80s and a Screamin' Blues overdrive/distortion. I use them for a solo/boost in front of my Carvin SX200. I am thinking about getting the DOD YJM308 but I'm curious as to what is being said. I've read some great reviews. Now granted, the Carvin is a solid state but it does a FANTASTIC job of emulating a tube amp. (Not simulate) I've asked what kind of tubes I'm using and everyone is surprised. But, I would like to get some more scoop on the YJM 308.
    • 17 posts
    January 21, 2011 8:46 AM PST
    Can't go wrong with a BOSS DS-2. If you want a more old-school valvey sound, go for an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi.
    • 25 posts
    January 21, 2011 1:46 PM PST

Normally I don't use any distortion pedals but lately I have begun to use an older Marshall Blues Breaker for just a hint of extra distortion for soloing. It's so funny that I have to edit this post, just pulled an old ProCo  The Rat from it's ealy grave, I don't like the sound as a boost to my tube amps but this thing sounds amazing when I distort the clean channel! AQuick update on the Rat...I think it's seen beter days. I tried to use it while recording the other day and it was fading in and out and clipping, etc.

This post was edited by Dan Geringer at March 15, 2011 9:31 PM PDT
    • 9 posts
    February 10, 2011 7:45 PM PST
    I use a EH Holy Stain for solos but have been thinking of adding some kind of "preamp" type pedal that has a "tube" in it . I've had good luck with EH products so I'll probably look at what they have first . Any suggestions ?
    • 23 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:14 PM PST
    I just found a pedal that could be the best i have ever come across. I will be doing a review of it in the coming week. its the "brownie" by CMAT MODS. epic tone with switchable jfet's. I also like the deltalab tube overdrive. it really depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. high gain, low gain crunchy, fuzz etc etc. there is a company that makes pre amp pedals that model marshalls and soldano's and rectifiers. ill look up the company and get back to you. i haven't tried them but i have heard good things.
  • March 5, 2011 5:00 AM PST
    Last year someone gave me a Sparkle Drive and that replaced a TS10. Really does a great job of dialing a little sparkle betwixt a guitar and a tube amp.
    • 16 posts
    March 7, 2011 10:16 AM PST
    I am no pedal board tap dancer, but there are a couple of pedals that give me shivers when I employ them.

First though, the most essential pedal I have is an Italian made PROEL DS10 which is like a clean drive, but I MEAN CLEAN - it even removes earth hum/line noise when engaged! It is also like giving your amp a speaker change - Think trading to a Celestion Blue!

But surprisingly the 2 gain pedals that I use are:

For Humbuckers/60's Brit RocK - DanoCOOLCAT DRIVE (V1)
    and
    For Single Coils/ all things USA/TWEED - COOLCAT Transparent Drive (V1). These two are so good I don't hanker for anything else - not even a KLON!
    • 2 posts
    March 11, 2011 9:55 AM PST
    I wish I could afford a Klon but for now the TS9DX with Keely Silver/Plus Mods on it is the most beautiful drive. So warm. Can push my tube amp into distortion easily at low volumes, can give me a hard distortion, or a calm little bite. Fender 70's Reissue Strat into the TS9DX with mods into a Fender Supersonic 2010 is an awesome tone.
    • 2 posts
    March 11, 2011 9:55 AM PST
    I wish I could afford a Klon but for now the TS9DX with Keely Silver/Plus Mods on it is the most beautiful drive. So warm. Can push my tube amp into distortion easily at low volumes, can give me a hard distortion, or a calm little bite. Fender 70's Reissue Strat into the TS9DX with mods into a Fender Supersonic 2010 is an awesome tone.
    • 25 posts
    March 13, 2011 9:27 PM PDT
    I cant live without my compression pedal, my old Ibanez CS-9 comes in a close second.
  • March 18, 2011 6:37 AM PDT
    Hello Everyone.
    :)
    I have Maxon OD 808, use it for boost.
    Jimi Hendrix wah Pedal.
    Radial Tone Bone Hot british.
    Boss CE-2.
    Boss DD-3.
    Bad Monkey.
    REVOLT Big Butt (Marshall JTM Simulator) Boutique Pedal.
    Sansamp TRIAC (for small gigs)
    Boss TU-2.
    And Octavio Pedal.

Is there anyone in this forum using a Fuzz Factory??
    I'm so curious bout they sound like.
    • 2 posts
    April 7, 2011 12:40 AM PDT
    Ibanez TS9 DX tubescreamer modified pushing a Hi-gain tube amp. Pure Heaven.
    • 1 posts
    April 20, 2011 7:26 PM PDT
    If you like the sound of a TS808 then you do with looking at the KLD Overdrive. It is basically a clone of the TS808 and sounds great when used on the clean channel, giving a good crunch to chords and just enough gain for great bluesy lead lines. When you kick it into the gain channel, lead lines tend to be more articulate, with each note standing out rather than getting lost in a high gain mush.
    I discovered KLD about 2 years ago, they make great sounding tube amps and pedals. After about a year of using them, I had the chance to import and sell them myself. (now work and play are all wrapped into one) So if you need a great sounding overdrive for around USD60 then have a look at a KLD
    • 48 posts
    May 16, 2011 12:29 PM PDT
    Nick Arrietta said:

...The Digitech Handwire SC-2 Valve Distortion is a very versitile pedal with great tone.

What do you prefer? What stomp boxes rock your socks?

+1 on the SC-2 - I used to own this pedal and it was very cool.

Right now I'm very impressed with the Danelectro clones of the Timmy and OCD - the version 1 of their Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive and Overdrive pedals sound really great.

I'm also really happy with the Hotcake overdrive and I'm digging my new ToneCandy Double Overdrive pedal.

And when it comes to a wah I love my (older) Budda Wah.

• June 2, 2011 8:33 AM PDT
    I love my Reezafratzitz Distortion pedal. Awesome and its dynamic in that the harder you play the more it distorts!
  • July 1, 2011 8:28 PM PDT
    i've been on a search for tone for a while now. pcked up a ts808 and a Fulltone OCD. use em separate for great great edge and boost. but together .... whoa man!

also added a BIg Muff PI and that's alot of fun too.

any thoughts on the Octavio??
    • 3 posts
    February 23, 2012 9:03 AM PST
    I have a boss ds-1 modded by cheeseblocks. It sounds amazing. I have owned a ds-1 in the past and wasn't happy with it, thought it sounded muddy and just didn't kick the way I wanted. I saw this mod on effects bay and decided to give it a shot as it was affordable. It has a nice punch