Forums » Gear Talk

What's your favorite overdrive pedal?

• 54 posts
    February 18, 2010 5:21 PM PST

I've always heard about how great Ibanez and Maxons are so I finally broke down and got a Maxon OD-808. I hated it. Sucked away the bottom end of my tone, and pushed the mids - not at all appealing. I thought there was something wrong with it so I compared it to my friend's Ibanez TS-9. Same thing. Then somebody turned me on to a cheap Danelectro pedal - the Cool Cat CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive. AWESOME!

• February 21, 2010 3:11 PM PST

Sometimes money isn't everything huh? Funny that the cheapest pedal is the superior pedal in this case.

• 16 posts
    February 21, 2010 3:12 PM PST

Yeah, well I saw a review of that Danelectro pedal - the Cool Cat CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive and it seems like a must have.

• February 22, 2010 1:37 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    February 22, 2010 1:39 AM PST
    I use a Boss Turbo Overdrive. The two modes allow two very different sounds, normal, with the right crunch to make some chords and arpeggios and the turbo mode for make solos.
    • 54 posts
    February 22, 2010 10:02 AM PST
    I think Boss makes great stuff but it has always sounded a little electronic for my tastes. But I play most rock and blues so I look for that warmer analog sound. It's probably perfect for your prog rock (which sounds great, by the way).
    • 23 posts
    April 17, 2010 1:02 PM PDT
    I have recently found a company called lovepedal, and they have a series called Kanji. The kanji classic and the Kanji 9 are pretty amazing.
    • 3 posts
    April 19, 2010 1:33 PM PDT
    I use A Damage Control Liquid Blues pedal, which runs 2 ax7 tubes and has buillt in compression. It also has a boost which gives it a bit more volume and drive, and a knob called "clarity" which increases a mix of the signal post compression but before the drive with the drive signal. this is the only pedal Ive ever really liked other than a wah.
  • May 13, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
    Right now...I'm in love with my Fulltone O.C.D........
    I have a Lovepedal Purple Plexi on order.....let the showdown begin!!
    • 6 posts
    June 10, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    the OCD's are nice. I dont own one, but I've used a bunch on studio sessions. Gonna hafta pick one up soon tho.

I still love my old Jekyll & Hyde too, but the time's comin to add a bunch of new sounds... ;)
  • July 7, 2010 9:27 PM PDT

I really love Fulltone stuff, but have recently been turned on by more boutique stuffIt's sad that those series Danelectro pedals are true bypass when TS-9s aren't...The Xotic BB Preamp is amazing...in my opinion...God, just listen to this vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKdjQsGD754&feature=channel

It's the ProGuitarShop demo of the BB Preamp Plus :)

• July 8, 2010 7:51 PM PDT
    Danelectro's aren't "true" bypass, rather they when stomped run the clean signal through the circuit board inside, which still causes a small amount of high end treble to be lost (though negligible).

The only way to true bypass any pedal is a proper dpdt foot stomp switch, which can be wired to the input and output of the pedal, and bypasses all the pedal's inside circuitry (if any) completely when switched, at the switch.

Just thought i'd add that - I am in the middle of re-housing a danelectro tuna melt tremelo pedal into an aluminium casing (awesome sound, crappy plastic casing, dodgy bypass), and upon disassembling the unit I discovered all sorts of fun stuff.
    • 1 posts
    July 9, 2010 2:19 AM PDT
    My original TS808 is a very smooth overdrive that I enjoy but I had a grey DOD OD250... wish I still had it...
    • 1 posts
    July 16, 2010 7:12 PM PDT

My 3 favorites are the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and OCD, and the Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver. The Fulldrive is closer to a Tubescremer type OD, the OCD just adds gain to your sound (it can add frequencies if you like, but I use mine to dirty up my sound...not to color it), and the BD-2 hasa lo-fi gain that you can still hear your original tone through.

• 3 posts
    August 2, 2010 2:08 PM PDT
    ibanez turbo tube screamer
    • 54 posts
    August 2, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
    I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of Ibanez or Maxon tube screamers. I find they push the midrange and drop the bottom out of the tone leaving a harsh sound. I prefer OD's that maintain the integrity of the signal while giving it a nice organic crunch.
  • August 6, 2010 2:14 PM PDT

So I received my sCream Cheese 2.0 from Cheese Blocks Effects yesterday w/ a custom acid etched cover.

Amazingly versatile and wholly $H!* were the 1st words that came to mind after a few minutes of playing. I was going to try and go into a long detailed review but found one on EffectsBay.com that is much better than anything I could write and includes vids that I am not set up to do correctly yet: http://www.effectsbay.com/2010/01/review-of-the-cheese-blocks-effects-scream-cheese-overdrive-2-0/

This review is spot on and even gives some background on the builder Matt Cheezem and why he built this pedal the way he did.

I was playing my Taylor T3 though my Vox AC4. The only feature of the pedal that I may not use very often is the low boost w/ my T3. It has enough low end and is extremely versatile as well when it comes to configuring the pickups and the different sounds it can produce so it was just like a kid w/ a new toy trying to dial in all the different options. This might take awhile but will be a very fun process to figure it all out.

I know it was only one night of playing for a couple hours but it went by too fast. I am extremely happy and cannot wait to get home tonight and fire it up again. If you need a new overdrive pedal you need to seriously look @ the sCream Cheese 2.0 as an option or addition to your setup.

• September 4, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
    I'm trying my best not to work with pedals at all, especially live.. (well, wah and some random stuff occasionally to make it interesting), but the problem is that it's easier to have a good OD pedal in case i don't have my rig around. In that case good ol' Tube Screamer is the WAY. i used it as a booster for DIST.and as a pure OD, original Ibanez and a few mods (like Keeley). And all of them are just great!
    • 16 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:22 PM PDT
    I've used the Pro Co Rat II (the original from the 80s. I still have it!), and Big Muff PI. My Carvin SX-200 head has a nice distortion for what I play, so I use a Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive just for solo/boost. I am thinking about getting a DOD YJM 308.
    • 54 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:36 PM PDT
    I recently wrote up a review of Maxon's new ST9Pro+ Super Tube pedal which is like the ultimate Tube Screamer to appeal to fans of all varieties of the pedal throughout the years. Keep an eye out for this on the blog part of SMG very soon!
    • 23 posts
    November 9, 2010 7:53 AM PST
    I personally like my TS-9 Re-issue. Paid 30 bucks for it!
    • 23 posts
    November 9, 2010 7:54 AM PST
    I like the Pro Co Rat II, as well.
    • 8 posts
    November 9, 2010 1:06 PM PST
    Tim Pratt said:
    I've used the Pro Co Rat II (the original from the 80s. I still have it!), and Big Muff PI. My Carvin SX-200 head has a nice distortion for what I play, so I use a Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive just for solo/boost. I am thinking about getting a DOD YJM 308.

I also have a RAT pedal. I think it's from the end of the eighties. I use it for the solos.

My favourite distortion

• 3 posts
    November 16, 2010 1:26 PM PST
    i dont use pedals...since i use a mesa triple rec...but the boss pedals to me are the best
    • 6 posts
    November 22, 2010 5:48 AM PST
    I used to only use my amp distortion (Mesa Rectoverb) with a wah, phase and tremolo, but have since moved to smaller combos and not as heavy music so I rely more on pedals now than I did in the past.

Before that I had a Carvin Quad-X rack setup with Lexicon MPX G2 for fx...

how times they change..lol