Forums » Gear Talk

Your most valuable gear

• 54 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:49 PM PDT

Hey all. Thought I'd start a topic on people's most valuable gear. By valuable, I mean what's most meaningful to you. Example: I have a Gibson LP-295 "Guitar of the month" - only 1,000 produced. Awesome. But the guitar that I cherish most is my mid 80's cream white Squier Strat that I bought for a few hundred bucks back in high school - that's my baby. Value price-wise, the Gibson wins but I'd part with that sooner than my Strat (not that I'm getting rid of either one!).

This post was edited by Dan Coplan at November 5, 2010 5:49 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    November 9, 2010 7:26 AM PST
    My 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Would certainly be difficult to replace. BTW, I had a Squier Strat just like that one. Biggest mistake I ever made was trading it. DOH!!
    • 6 posts
    November 10, 2010 10:10 AM PST

My Most Valuable dollar wise would be my '61 SG Les Paul Custom, plus I toured with it for years and it was on several albums. 

My most valuable overall (but no longer with me) was my Heritage H150CM. My main for years and was on so many recordings. I miss that guitar..

Current most valuable for sentimental reasons, my 1960's Prestige. My first guitar given to me from an Aunt who passed away. 

• 16 posts
    November 23, 2010 3:10 AM PST

Mine has to be my immaculate and original 1973 Hardtail Fender Strat. Recently been offered £3,500 it !

• 23 posts
    January 14, 2011 1:14 AM PST

Hands down my 1969 Les Paul my father gave me when i was 16. Simply the most amazing guitar i have ever played.

Cheers
    Nick
    SMG Staff

This post was edited by Nick Arrietta at January 14, 2011 1:59 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    March 7, 2011 9:32 AM PST

By far my Guild True American 6 string acoustic/elec. I own many different guitars but, none can do for me what my Guild can. I'm a heavy hittin, beatin bangin, rhythm player and my Guild takes it gladly and always comes back for more...priceless...Also, I just found a Guild d412 acoustic 12 string at my local pawn shop..can't wait to give it some TLC and bring it to life too.....

• 7 posts
    March 9, 2011 12:20 PM PST

That's a hell of a question ... I saved up for about a year in high school and went in to Manny's on 48th St. in NYC and bought my Guild F-212 ....still have her (bought for $210 and recently put $500 into a neck set and frets ... a beauty!) ... about 5 yeats later, a guy came to my college dorm with a DelVecchio Dinamico (think: rosewood-bodied resonator)...he wanted $70 ... i only had $35 and he left town before i could finish paying him (I play this one every day...so warm ...and twangy too ... and nothing else sounds quite like her ... last October, my wife found me a 1961 Guild Starfire III .... holy moley! she sings!!! a work of art ....plugged or unplugged .... monetary value:
    F-212 $210
    Delvecchio $35
    Starfire $2500

over the years, i had others ... a '73 Fender Telecster Deluxe, a Hagstrom F-12, an Ovation Deluxe Balladeer, a Univox 'Lectra ...
    but my 3 babies are what i'll keep .... priceless to me.

This post was edited by Steve Messenger at January 24, 2012 3:04 PM PST
    • 25 posts
    March 13, 2011 9:23 PM PDT
    I've got a 79 Strat that I played almost every day for about 15 years, it's heavy, has it's own particular sound (that I miss) and weighs a ton, but I love it and would hate to see it go.
  • March 15, 2011 4:40 PM PDT

My '81 cherry Gibson ES-335 Dot first year reissue. One of the finest guitars I've ever played.

Photobucket

This post was edited by Deleted Member at March 15, 2011 4:41 PM PDT
  • March 18, 2011 6:26 AM PDT
    I've got 1974 Fender Strat in heavy Relic Condition.I bought this for $50. Yeah $50 from a drunk man.I'm so Lucky. And now, this guitar been offered $2500. :)
    but I think, i'm not gonna sell it, bcause God gave me this Strat through a drunk man..
    haha
    • 1 posts
    March 28, 2011 12:04 AM PDT

My 60 Gibson Maestro GA2-rt. Tone to die for!

• 19 posts
    March 28, 2011 1:11 AM PDT
    For me, it would be my Fender USA Vintage 70s natural ash finish Stratocaster. I wanted one in 1973 - didn't get it. It took me 40 years to get one like I wanted.
    • 18 posts
    April 9, 2011 7:07 AM PDT
    Dan Coplan said:

Hey all. Thought I'd start a topic on people's most valuable gear. By valuable, I mean what's most meaningful to you. Example: I have a Gibson LP-295 "Guitar of the month" - only 1,000 produced. Awesome. But the guitar that I cherish most is my mid 80's cream white Squier Strat that I bought for a few hundred bucks back in high school - that's my baby. Value price-wise, the Gibson wins but I'd part with that sooner than my Strat (not that I'm getting rid of either one!).

one I have been waiting years for, my Dean Z means a lot to me

• 48 posts
    May 16, 2011 12:23 PM PDT

My Gibson CS-356 and my Les Paul Custom Premium Plus...

• 5 posts
    July 31, 2011 10:43 PM PDT
    I love collecting because a Guitar has to be played! If it goes up in value for some reason that's just a little bonus. But t is a mistake to sell your baby unless it's not right for your playing style.
    • 4 posts
    August 1, 2011 4:35 AM PDT

My 1973 Gibson SG. Bought it 25+ years ago at a mile-long street rummage sale I didn't want to go to. My dad forced me to go and I wanted to stop and turn around so many times but he kept telling me we should keep going - that I would never know what I would find. As usual - he was right.

This post was edited by Don Bray at August 1, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
  • August 4, 2011 6:50 PM PDT
    My 1969 Gibson EBO, that I bought for $500 in 2005. What a steal! The guy that sold it thought it was a gun he bought at an estate sale. She's road-scarred, but still abeauty! And she sounds wonderful!!!
    • 68 posts
    August 17, 2011 12:52 PM PDT

By monetary value, my most valuable guitar is my '99 LP Classic:

However, from an emotional standpoint, it's a dead tie between the first half-decent guitar I ever bought, a 1960 Fender Duo-Sonic, that my dad refinished:

And an Ovation Breadwinner, that I played my first gig with, and was my main guitar throughout the '80's:

• 1 posts
    September 22, 2011 11:49 AM PDT

Some of my toys. The blue one is a 65 Strat bought @ Mannys house of music, NYC in 1964

• September 22, 2011 3:39 PM PDT
    Richard Staff said:

Some of my toys. The blue one is a 65 Strat bought @ Mannys house of music, NYC in 1964

Wow Richard! You have some amazing guitars and basses on the wall...That 65 Strat is way cool!!

• 12 posts
    September 22, 2011 4:30 PM PDT

Besides my guitar's. This is my most important piece of gear. After purchasing it, I wouldn't know what to do with out it. The sound is amazing. Can compete with the best of them in my book.Even though about purchasing the combo for small venues and practicing. Highly recommend.

Carvin Steve Vai Legacy 2 Stack.

• 25 posts
    October 3, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

I didn’t start playing guitar until later in life, and when I did, not only did I want to learn music, but I wanted to learn everything about how the instruments were put together, set-up, and how to repair them. 
    I have two guitars that are special to me.  I bought them new via mail order and they’re
    both Squiers.  The first is my gold Squier Stratocaster that I have less than 200 dollars in and I’ve probably had it about 8 years now.  From the beginning, the guitar sounded good, intonates, and responds well to neck adjustments.  From there, it seemed like a good platform to upgrade a little. 
    From there I added some GFS hot pickups, Fender 250 pots and 5 way switch and a on/off mini switch for the neck pickup. While doing this, and before you could get thin ply copper kits, I shielded the pick guard and the cavity with hobby copper sheets from Michael’s. The copper overlaps and is solder to make it one solid piece.  I also wired the bridge pickup to be adjustable with a tone pot.  Then I painted the headstock with a glossy clear coat.  Finally, I spent an afternoon cleaning and buffing the frets to a mirror chrome like finish.  Not only does this make the guitar play extremely smooth, but the neck shimmers like jewelry when light hits it.  It’s really a joy to play. Thanks for reading.      

[img="http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/1-16-121.jpg" alt=""]

This post was edited by Mike Sr at March 3, 2012 6:26 PM PST
    • 25 posts
    October 3, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

The second guitar is also a Squier I got via mail order.  It’s one I hadn’t seen before and
    came with a silver burst paint job, and a pearloid pick guard.  With it, I have right at $300 invested.  I determined it to be a good platform for modifying just like I did with the gold strat above.  For pickups and pots, I got a set of hot Fender no hum pickups that came with 1 Meg pots, caps and resistors.  I added a Fender 5 way switch to boot and also did the same fret work as I did with the gold strat.  I’ve had this guitar about 7 or 8 years and it impresses anyone who gets to play it.  Not in a way where they’re saying it plays like a really expensive guitar, they just comment that it plays really, really nice,   It’s fun and puts a grin on my face.  

[img="http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/P7290008.jpg" alt=""]

This post was edited by Mike Sr at March 3, 2012 6:28 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    October 13, 2011 8:22 AM PDT
    i think that my favorite piece of gear would have to be my flourescent yellow dean MLX
    i got it for like 100 dollars off of a scratch and dent sale on musicians friend WHAT A STEAL! and when i opened the box up i fell in love with it.
    sounds and plays like a dream!
    • 14 posts
    October 13, 2011 3:59 PM PDT

Boy, another "sore" subject due to my wife's concerns oh well..

1972 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Cherry sunburst

1942 Gibson ES 125

1989 Gibson ES335 Cherry

2009 Fender USA Strat

1999 Fender USA Strat (custom)

1995 BC Rich Bich (exotic)

2009 Gibson SJ-200 KOA , Custom Shop Model

2007 Dillion Brian May Red Special "quilted top edition"

2006 Eastwood Map Airline

Franken VS of Eastwood Airline 3p

Line 6 Variax

My wife says it's either her or the guitars one of them has to go, I am sure gonna miss her.

There are 21 others but these are my favs, its a disease I know but what can I do?.

I just bought the Gibson SJ-200 and it was over $4000.00 "whew" but my fellow git-fiddle players unless you plan on buying one DO NOT sit down and play one, you can't let it go.

As far as amps go I have a Line 6 Spider that is for practice and for gigging I use a Fender Twin Reverb which has been modded.

I do not use stomp boxes but do run my signals through a computer based effects translator.

Pretty low noise to signal ratio and my software lets me "create" my effects.

J. EagleBear