Forums » Gear Talk

Fender Japan vs. Fender USA

• 19 posts
    March 24, 2011 1:54 AM PDT

I am a 40-year-plus Fenderphile. BUT I am pissed. All Fender USA seems to want to release lately is road-worn and relic crap. Nothing really new. Now take a look at Fender Japan's new releases on their new site. Many many more color options, many many many many nore natural finish options in ash and mahogany and many configuration options. More versions of the Mustang than I have ever dreamt. A natural finish Jazzmaster even. It riles me that Fender USA seems to be in a creative rut while Fender Japan is so much more innovative. There are also interesting pickup and hardware options. Check it out.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products.html

This post was edited by Martin de Vore at March 24, 2011 2:01 AM PDT
  • March 24, 2011 3:16 AM PDT
    I took a look at it. They do offer alot more choices for color. But I was on the Fender USA site and I could build a Strat in ANY color, according to the website. The pickup choices may be because the stock ones are, well crap! I have to say though that the amp selection was pretty weak. I think my friends in Japan would rather have a Fender from America!
    • 25 posts
    March 28, 2011 8:36 PM PDT
    Old Fender user here...all American here!
    • 19 posts
    March 28, 2011 10:16 PM PDT

I love my USA Fenders. Truly. They are the BEST! BUT...it seems like Fender's recent VISUAL design sense has fled them. Road worn this, road worn that... The road worn appearance -- in my opinion -- needs to be earned, not bought. Every ding, scar, spill stain, paint chip, strap rash should have a story or memory behind it. What I like about the Japanese Fenders are lots of colors I haven't seen before and many more natural wood finishes. If Fender USA would offer those and bag that road worn crap it wouldn't be an issue for me at all. Again this is a visual gripe. I have no gripes whatsoever with the exquisite sound of my superbly constructed USA Fenders or even my MiMs for that matter.

This post was edited by Martin de Vore at March 28, 2011 10:36 PM PDT
  • March 28, 2011 10:27 PM PDT
    I agree with you on that Martin....the road worn stuff I think is crap. I think if it looks worn, it should be because it is worn. Personally I like to keep mine looking as good as possible and hate it when something like a ding or scratch happens. As far as quality, my MIM Strat has some issues on the finish. It is very uneven, but I think it's actually the guitar itself that is rippled looking, and the paint is just over a guitar that wasn't finish sanded properly or the guitar didn't cure right after assembly and the wood was/is uneven. Glad I didn't pay for it new. Got it for $150 and I think its worth every penny, but someday I will probably start sanding it down to fix it.
    • 19 posts
    March 28, 2011 10:42 PM PDT

Yeah, Art, every guitar is its own beast. I haven't had any issues with my MiMs. My Lone Star Strat Witchypoo is an MiM but with Texas Specials and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and she wails like a banshee. I'd love to have enough extra funds to by a bunch of MiMs to tinker with and upgrade. Still, all the MiMs I have sound and feel great to me without any upgrades.

This post was edited by Martin de Vore at March 28, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    April 4, 2011 1:58 PM PDT
    Fender America all day Those are the originals, though i do admit japan does good. Just more classic is the feel i want from a classic American guitar manufactor
    • 31 posts
    May 10, 2011 5:28 PM PDT
    I would have to say Fender America in the early years post Leo Fender and during early CBS but during the years that CBS started cutting corners to try and compete for the sale price with the imports, they failed to live up to the standards we have become accustomed to in American made products. I specifically refer to the 73 and 74 Strats where on eof the tone knowbs was remobed to make way for the input jack to plug into the front of the guitar in a perpendicular manner. Some of the ones I have seen and played have different pickup and pickup switch configurations. They are still Fender so I dig em. :) The quality got better when private stockholders purchased Fender back from CBS in like 1975 or somewhere along in there. I would be remiss to leave the Mexican made Strats out of this conversation. I think they are tough as nails and play pretty good in my humble opinion. I would not rewcommend putting them in the class with canoe paddles please.
    • 31 posts
    May 10, 2011 5:35 PM PDT
    Art Tryon said:
    I took a look at it. They do offer alot more choices for color. But I was on the Fender USA site and I could build a Strat in ANY color, according to the website. The pickup choices may be because the stock ones are, well crap! I have to say though that the amp selection was pretty weak. I think my friends in Japan would rather have a Fender from America!

• 31 posts
    May 17, 2011 3:22 PM PDT
    They even seem to prefer Fender from Mexico in many cases judging by some of the folks I've talked to. Variety is the spice of life and I do enjoy the spices.
    • 14 posts
    May 17, 2011 9:16 PM PDT
    well I have never ever owned a fender but did consider one a few years back as I was looking for a guitar that met my needs-I am a shredder and needed something with a lot of tone and character.
    Malmsteen uses fenders but he rods them out and to me I wanted something that I could express tone and such.The fenders were to whimpy for what I wanted.
    now to the question-american made all the way but I would go for something vintage instead of the new breed of guitars because everything is a alternative to the orginal components.no guts-no glory and that goes for the wood as well.If you can make that guitar sing then thats fine-I just want something that screams
    • 11 posts
    May 18, 2011 5:13 PM PDT

I can't afford the American Strats, but I have a an older Japanese model which I like very much. Even though it is a major pain to change strings and tune up, once its there, it doesn't come out of tune. The Fugi-gen pick ups were too weak, so I swapped them out for Seymour Duncan rails and a SH series humbucker. I do like the new Blacktop models, but can't remember where they are made. The Japanese models do have better color schemes than the American models.

• 1 posts
    May 21, 2011 7:43 AM PDT
    I own a couple of Strats. I have never played a Japanese Strat that I liked enough to buy. As for the road worn look it's a joke. As for old guitars and the mojo thing I own a 1960 Strat. The bridge pickup never sounded good, although the neck and middle pickups are excellent. The guitar does sounds amazing but to be honest my 1996 Custom Shop plays and sounds better.
    • 16 posts
    May 22, 2011 8:27 PM PDT
    Truthfully ,I had a Korean Strat with factory Floyd and Emg's that I think was built for Sam Ash exclusively and was built just as well as the USA strat or possibly even better , I took it apart and examined it very carefully and found it to be quite a guitar .
    Sincerely Robbie guitars
    • 16 posts
    June 4, 2011 7:14 PM PDT
    Martin de Vore said:

I am a 40-year-plus Fenderphile. BUT I am pissed. All Fender USA seems to want to release lately is road-worn and relic crap. Nothing really new. Now take a look at Fender Japan's new releases on their new site. Many many more color options, many many many many nore natural finish options in ash and mahogany and many configuration options. More versions of the Mustang than I have ever dreamt. A natural finish Jazzmaster even. It riles me that Fender USA seems to be in a creative rut while Fender Japan is so much more innovative. There are also interesting pickup and hardware options. Check it out.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products.html

/////Yes Robbie guitars here , You are right those people work harder because they get less and 

we are just to good for our own good , We step on our dicks alot and thats why we are economically 

where we are we cant produce any where near the amount of product they can and if we are paying enough they make better stuff . Sorry but its a fact . If you look at my profile picture thats a Japan

Kramer focus 4000 from 1985 , Les paul s aren't built that well , The gibson s all delaminate ! 

Am I right or not ? I have been a Luthier for 30 years USA is nice stuff but for the money!!!! its a rip

off because I can make a $90 guitar a player its all the same shit .

• 2 posts
    June 24, 2011 10:07 AM PDT
    several of my friends are strat collectors and they all covet their vintage Japanese strats. They are well built , flawless instruments, and I haven't played a bad one yet. so if I buy a Japanese strat, it will be an old one. I gig with a Fender Bullet made in Indonesia quite a bit. thinner than a strat, lighter than a strat, plays just like a strat and is so inexpensive, it could be stolen and I could get another one on craigslist for $100. tone comes from the pick up and strings and how you play-not the sticker on the headstock.