Forums » Gear Talk

What's your rig and what do you plan to add/c

• February 25, 2010 5:32 PM PST

For those of us with bad GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). What's your current gear set-up and why?

I'm using a Squier Tele Vintage Modified, a Gibson L6S (1980 solidbody) and an Ibanez AFS75 through a Line 6 M13. My amp dilemma is to use two of the three: A Vox AD30VT (1x10), Crate X120R (2x12) or a Polytone 1x15 180Watt that is as clean and loud as could be imagined. For me it's about versatility, and frugality. The most expensive piece is the L6 which was $550 and the M13 I bought new. The Polytone I just grabbed at a pawn shop for $70.

• 54 posts
    February 26, 2010 10:54 AM PST
    Don't get me started...I think I'm up to 14 guitars, acoustic and electric, and that doesn't include the acoustic I'm building and the electric I'm going to build after that. I don't collect - I play everything I own, and they're all completely different. I was a POD XT guy for a while and then I rediscovered pedals and now I'm up to probably 12 of those suckers with my eye on a few more. The amp bug hasn't hit me yet but I can feel it coming on. That being said, I've got 4 but one was given to me for a review, one I won, and the other two include a small practice amp and a 100W Peavey 212 Valve King I got off craigslist for a killer deal.

I could list all my gear but that would be a fairly long list and I fear that list is only going to get longer. Fear being a good thing...

Here is my current axe inventory...

www.dancoplan.com/guitars

I
    shop for gear constantly and it's simply a matter of will that I don't keep buying stuff. Well, that and the fact that I need my money for things like rent to house my babies.
  • February 26, 2010 11:40 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    February 27, 2010 6:58 AM PST
    Dan, I feel very identified with you. I picked up a total of 16 guitars, among which there are 6 Fenders and Gibsons 3, in addition to Roland and other models, but all are ready for the stage.
    It is inevitable to buy a model often, but I think now I have completed the collection.
    Although if I find a Fender Telecaster Deluxe'72, Original, Made in USA, I will buy it for sure.
  • February 27, 2010 1:37 PM PST
    Okay, so let's revise. You have a gig tomorrow, what are you taking from your arsenal and why?
    • 54 posts
    March 7, 2010 10:48 AM PST
    I'm taking two guitars: my Westone Prestige because it has double humbuckers that are coil tapped so I have a wide variety of tonal choices and probably my 80's Squier Strat because nothing has ever felt sweeter in my hands and I love the punchy sound that I don't quite get out of the Westone. Two guitars for tonal options and as backup in case strings break. Oh, and my pedalboard, of course.
    • 54 posts
    March 7, 2010 10:50 AM PST

Dan, I feel very identified with you. I picked up a total of 16 guitars, among which there are 6 Fenders and Gibsons 3, in addition to Roland and other models, but all are ready for the stage.
    It is inevitable to buy a model often, but I think now I have completed the collection.
    Although if I find a Fender Telecaster Deluxe'72, Original, Made in USA, I will buy it for sure.

You know, Oriol, I keep looking at that Roland in your profile picture thinking I just have to get one. I understand why people get multiple Fenders, Gibsons, whatever, but for me every guitar is completely different.

• March 8, 2010 1:20 PM PST
    you guys have way too many guitars, so I would be happy to do you a favor and take some off your hands ;-)
  • July 7, 2010 9:36 PM PDT
    I've currently got an '88 Studio that I love and some weird hybrid concoction of a "Custom/American" Strat, which I'm not sure to be truthful, but it sounds amazing, so I don't really care, I traded a PRS SE for it lol (I wonder if I should try to figure out what it is...). But just about anything would sound good through my Astroverb :)

I plan on adding some type of Fender Amp, for cleaner stuff, preferably a blues deville, so I can have the extra channel and effects loop. I want to get a rack with a power conditioner, sonic maximizer (just to see how it sounds with my amp), and a rack tuner.

My pedal selection is quite small currently. I have a ProCo Rat but I've sort of traded it for a handmade "Custom Fuzz" pedal that's actually more of a drive/boost pedal. It's true-bypass and really helps my amp shine when I'm playing my strat, I have yet to play my LP through it. I also currently have an older VS H20 pedal, which is pretty awesome, but I HOPEFULLY will be getting a Boss CE-2 soon (Keeley modded, W00T :)). I want to try the TC Electronics Polytune, but my TU-2 is working just fine right now.
    • 16 posts
    November 6, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
    For me, I am VERY happy with my current setup. I have 2 Carvin SX-200's. I use one for recording and one for my 'stage rig'. (If I can get that far! :)) Effects-wise, I can get what I hear in my head with my Bad Horsie, Boss EQ, Smart Gate, Ibanez flanger, Ibanez chorus (original one from the 80's) and so far, a Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive for solo/boost. In my opinion, the Carvins have a great distortion but the clean stuff isn't as pristine for me so I use a Marshall AS-50 acoustic amp on an A/B switch and it works for me. I enjoy limiting myself because it forces me to rely on my technique and playing ability and plus, I am a lousy tap dancer, so I can't be pushing pedals all the time! I have a custom Carvin Bolt as my main guitar, loaded with AP-11's and I customized the tone knob so I can have a boosted mid-range for when I need to play really clean. It's great for jazz and be-bop stuff. I am interested in getting a YJM 308 (I'm getting tired of mentioning this!) but I still need to find out if anyone has one and what they think of it. So overall, I am FINALLY hearing the tones in my head that have been reverbing for the past 30+ years.
    • 8 posts
    November 8, 2010 4:08 AM PST
    Woyvel said:" Okay, so let's revise. You have a gig tomorrow, what are you taking from your arsenal and why?"
    For sure I take the 77 Stratocaster. This guitar is very versatile. It can be hard and sweet.
    • 6 posts
    November 10, 2010 10:17 AM PST

Out of all the crap I own... the usual suspects (for gigging anyway)

Starfield American Cabriolet, customized Schecter Tempest Special w/ P90's..

Pedal board differs from gig to gig, but here's the gist..
    Whammy 1 or II, Dunlop Wah, TU2, Ross Phaser, Frantone Vibutron, Keeley TS9, Jekyll & Hyde, DL4...

Amp: either modded Classic 30, Blues JR, or Mesa Rectoverb w/ 2x12 marshall ext. cab.

Lately i've also been gigging with my Roland GR-33 guitar synth and vintage Roland JX-3P synth keys in tow as well... oy..lol

This post was edited by Jimmy Farkas at November 10, 2010 10:31 AM PST
  • November 11, 2010 8:23 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    November 11, 2010 9:05 AM PST
    JImmy Farkas said:

Out of all the crap I own... the usual suspects (for gigging anyway)

Starfield American Cabriolet, customized Schecter Tempest Special w/ P90's..

Pedal board differs from gig to gig, but here's the gist..
    Whammy 1 or II, Dunlop Wah, TU2, Ross Phaser, Frantone Vibutron, Keeley TS9, Jekyll & Hyde, DL4...

Amp: either modded Classic 30, Blues JR, or Mesa Rectoverb w/ 2x12 marshall ext. cab.

Lately i've also been gigging with my Roland GR-33 guitar synth and vintage Roland JX-3P synth keys in tow as well... oy..lol

I like your pedal rig!!!

This post was edited by Oriol Vilella at November 11, 2010 9:06 AM PST
    • 23 posts
    November 23, 2010 2:34 PM PST
    I'm kind of like Dan. I have the Pod XT Live. I have recently started acquiring some "essential" pedals with which to build a pedal board. I still like the Pod's delays, but I like the more "organic" quality that the pedals bring to the mix. I would like to find a way to incorporate the Pod into my pedal board too.
  • December 25, 2010 3:51 PM PST
    I've thinned out my rig a fair bit as I'm singing mostly just now but in the interests of the community(and because I love talking about gear :D) this is the list:

Godin LG(old style with the carve top and through-body)
    Fender Big Apple(heavily modded with fresh Duncans/graphite nut/new pots/knobs etc)
    'Baron'(custom tele with 26" scale,very hot pickups and a bone nut)
    'Truth'(MAD single pickup thing bought on eBay for £100 with completely flat extra wide neck made of some of the most beautiful birds eye you've ever seen)

DAM Drag 'N Fly
    DAM Sonic Titan (serial #001!)
    ProCo Rat II
    ProCo You Dirty Rat
    Boss TR2
    Boss OC2
    Dunlop CryBaby
    Zoom 606(what a howl!rubbish but great at the same time)
    Ibanez DDL10
    Danelectro Dan Echo
    Danelectro Fab Flange(while I would never recommend this to anyone it is a lot of fun)

Line 6 Duoverb
    HH Combo 212 'Invader'

Very little in the way of subtlety or nuance but as I'm mostly just playing at home and completely broke there's no need to shell out on the nice stuff,although if the opportunity comes up to spring for a decent valve head and a 2x12" I'm right in there.I've had fairly brutal tendinitis recently so if anyone knows where I can get new wrists drop me a line :/
  • January 4, 2011 9:15 PM PST

I'm very big on recording and not much for a band anymore so my rig is somewhat different. I have a Boogie SOB head on a 4x12, an Egnater Rebel 20 and an old Marshall 9000 tube pre-amp. I also have a POD 2.0 and a POD XT Live in the hardware sim department and Amplitude 3, Guitar Rig 4, Waves GTR3.5 and I use for my DAW Samplitude 11 pro which has the virtual amp Vandal. Here's where it gets complicated, I do not have a lot of pedals because I do not like to commit myself too far so my music computer (built by PC Audio Labs) a dual soundcard system.

I use as my primary card a Presonus Firestudio 26/26 and in my computer is an Emu 1820 (plus the external dock. I use the Emu mostly for fx but only monitoring the fx and it slaves via adat to the Firestudio. This way I can send the inputs on the firestudio (via adat) to the emu and monitor it with fx while actually recording the signal dry. I use my xt live as a reference amp or one of my amps so I can make use of the direct monitor on my Firestudio. I also use a Radial ABY box which has a true bypass as well so I record a completely dry 're-amp' signal. However to achieve an old school stereo rig effect I also use an original Boss CH-1 sending the wet signal to another track. Here's what it looks like

Radial>

Output A>POD XT LIVE>Channels 3&4 Firestudio

Output B>Boss CH-1>Channel 1 Firestudio

Boss second output (dry)>Channel 2 Firestudio

Tuner (True Bypass)>one of my amps

With the Boss  channel 1&2 (both mono) I get the old school stereo rig, record a dry track and one with mono chorus (combining with the dry for the stereo rig)

The POD XT LIVE is used as a reference amp so I can use the direct monitor on my soundcard, can be recorded as well (usually is).

All channels go via adat too and from my EMU 1820 so I can monitor with fx but record without them, record with fx returns or just record the fx returns.

The true bypass goes to any one of my amps and between the amp of choice I use a Ted Weber Attenuator that has a direct out as well.

Channel 7 on my Firestudio is a mic'd cab and channel 11 is the output of the Weber.

For those not familiar with Ted Weber (RIP) his attenuators use speaker motors instead of resistors to reduce the power giving a huge difference from a Power Brake or Power Soak in response.

As a result my recording software (Samp 11 pro) opens with a template using 4 mono ins and one stereo for my guitar armed and three more (two mono and one stereo) if I want to record the fx from the emu (though I can do that later using the power fx vst from the emu)

Confused yet?

It sounds complicated but is quite simple and practical.

• 17 posts
    January 21, 2011 8:50 AM PST
    Currently working on my pedal board, but my setup for it all so far is:

AMPS
    - Marshall AVT100
    - Fender Frontman 25r

GUITARS
    - Fender Stratocaster Mexican (Arctic White)
    - Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Honeyburst)
    - Tanglewood Evolution Electro-Acoustic

PEDALS
    BOSS DS-2
    Jim Dunlop Crybaby Classic
    Digitech Whammy IV
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
    BOSS CS-2 Compressor
    BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay

PEDALS YET TO BE PURCHASED
    Boss FV-500 Volume Controller
    MXR Phase-90

Will post pictures when I've finished the pedalboard.
    • 4 posts
    January 21, 2011 9:32 AM PST
    Cool Andy! Nice gear, look forward to checking out them pics!!
    • 54 posts
    January 21, 2011 10:04 AM PST
    I've been using a pedal board and modifying it with custom pieces here and there but it can be a pain to manage and bulky to haul around. Am considering the BOSS ME-70 multi-effects unit. Super convenient, though you're locked into that BOSS sound. Anyone using the ME-70?
  • January 21, 2011 11:47 AM PST

Dan - What? You're ditching your pedals? I'll be glad to take em off your hands ;-)

This post was edited by Mickey Richardson at January 21, 2011 11:48 AM PST
    • 54 posts
    January 21, 2011 2:31 PM PST
    Definitely not ditching my pedals! I don't think I could do that. But I can run them in-line with the ME-70. Best of both worlds???
  • January 21, 2011 2:35 PM PST
    Are you turning into THE EDGE?!
    • 17 posts
    January 21, 2011 3:08 PM PST
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ This always made me giggle, although I do still think The Edge has talent in his own way.
  • January 21, 2011 3:21 PM PST
    hahaha! That's great! I like The Edge and for anyone who is not a fan of his, just watch "It Might Get Loud" and he will win you over...!